From Dior to Vivienne Westwood, every brand that is affirmatively declared as fashion authority in the sartorial world has endorsed the trend of a dark lip on the runway this season. Poison purples, lush berries and wicked reds are not just reserved for your best Halloween outfit, but are now something you should pair with that classic black LBD. We get it, you might be a little hesitant at first to try out this bold trend, but is the fact bright lips are officially a thing of a past any more motivation? Jump on the bandwagon and incorporate a vampy pout into your beauty repertoire and you’ll never imagine how sexy you can look. Check out the do’s and don’ts to help you nail the look the first time:
- Keep the eye make up restricted to stark browns and a simple black liner.
- The darker your skin tone, the darker you can go with the lips without making it appear too harsh.
- Always prep your lips with a lip scrub or primer, always!
- Use a lip liner to avoid harsh and sharp edges
- Avoid direct application, try using a lip brush for smoother lines.
- Set your lips with translucent powder and a tissue to avoid bleeding.
- Don’t overline your lip like you do with nudes and reds.
- Avoid using these dark lipsticks if your lips are severely chapped.
- Use the same shade of liner! Darker or lighter liners are a thing of the 2000’s Britney Spears era.
- Be caught with poison coloured teeth. Always check and dab the inside of your lip with a tissue to avoid these social situations.
- Don’t overdose on any other form of make up, be it your blush or that smokey eye! Big no-no.
Here are some of our favourite dark lipsticks in the market:
- Kylie Cosmetics Liquid Matte In Leo
- Faces Ultime Pro Lipstick in Temptation
- NYX Soft Matte Velvet Cream in Copenhagen
- NYX Velvet Suede in Cherry Skies
- Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip in Rooch
- Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip in Are & Be
- Mac Diva
- Mac Retro Matte Liptick in Oh, Lady!
- LimeCrime Velvetines in Wicked
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lip in Nosferatu
- Kylie Cosmetics Liquid Matte In Kourt K